- UC Santa Cruz
- Visual Studies PhD
As preparation, transfer students are encouraged to fulfill at least two (and a maximum of three) lower-division history of art and visual culture requirements prior to transfer. Refer to the ASSIST articulation agreements at www.assist.org for approved lower-division courses. A student may transfer up to five art history courses toward the major, only two of which may be upper division. Upper-division transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis and must be approved by the student’s faculty adviser. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to contact the History of Art and Visual Culture Department for advisement before enrolling at UCSC.
1) Fill out a substitution petition for each course taken at an outside institution. Every petition must include a syllabus.
2) Submit your petition to the HAVC undergraduate adviser.
3) Faculty review and approve or deny petitions.
4) The department chair reviews all petitions to make a final decision.
5) The undergraduate advisor will notify you with the petition outcome.
6) Retrieve your submitted materials (syllabus); the office retains the petition in your student records.
7) If approved, the exception will be coded to show up on your student portal.
Please note: course grades need to be posted on the student's portal before substitutions are officially coded.
This process usually lasts between 1-3 weeks.