Applicants to Visual Studies must hold a Bachelor of Arts or Master of Arts degree or their equivalents from an accredited institution and submit the following materials for review:
- Completed application, including a statement of purpose and a personal history statement
- GRE General Test scores are NOT required
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native English speakers
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- Writing sample illustrating scholarly potential, not to exceed 20 pages (double-spaced, 12 point font)
- Three letters of recommendation
Successful applicants will demonstrate their potential for original scholarship in the field, interest in academic or curatorial positions, superior oral, visual, and written skills and a commitment to education.
For detailed information about the application process and requirements and to apply, please visit Graduate Admissions. For funding information please visit Division of Graduate Studies Financial Aid and enhanced graduate student support programs.
Visual Studies Application Frequently Asked Questions.
Applications for 2022-23 will be accepted from October 1- December 13, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Standard Time).