Visual & Media Cultures Colloquia Series 2022-2023 presents a public lecture by Lauren Schell Dickens, Chief Curator at the San José Museum of Art. Since joining the museum in 2016 as curator, she has organized solo exhibitions and projects with Diana Al-Hadid, Sadie Barnette, Sofia Cordova, Woody de Othello, Brendan Fernandes, Sky Hopinka, Glenn Kaino and Tommie Smith, The Propeller Group, Aislinn Thomas, and Lara Schnitger; major survey exhibitions of Rina Banerjee and Kelly Akashi; and numerous group exhibitions. Prior to joining SJMA, Dickens held curatorial positions at the National Gallery of Art and Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. Her public project with The Propeller Group and El Mac was awarded the 2018 Creative Impact Award by the city of San José. She is a 2019 Warhol Curatorial Research Fellow and recipient of the Fellows of Contemporary Art 2022 Curators Award. She is a collaborator in the Visualizing Abolition initiative by UCSC's Institute of Art and Sciences.
- Free and open to the public
- Please read and follow COVID-19 protocols as outlined here on the Arts website
- The closest parking lots are #124 and #125 at Porter College.
- Purchase a campus permit or use ParkMobile.
- Visitors with DMV placards or plates may park for free in DMV spaces, Medical spaces, or ParkMobile spaces without additional payment, or in time zones for longer than the posted time.
- See Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS) for visitor parking information, ParkMobile instructions, and a campus parking map.