As preparation, transfer students are encouraged to fulfill at least two (and a maximum of three) lower-division history of art and visual culture requirements prior to transfer. Refer to the ASSIST articulation agreements at www.assist.org for approved lower-division courses. A student may transfer up to five art history courses toward the major, no more than three lower-division and two upper-division. Upper-division transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to contact the History of Art and Visual Culture Department for advisement before enrolling at UCSC.
- Fill out a substitution petition for each course taken at an outside institution. Every petition must include a syllabus.
- Submit your petition to the HAVC undergraduate adviser.
- Faculty review and approve or deny petitions.
- The undergraduate advisor will notify you with the petition outcome.
- If approved, the exception will be coded to show up on your student portal.
Please note: course grades need to be posted on the student's portal before substitutions are officially coded.